Drilling Methods and techniques
This course forms a part of the Professional Development Program of the GSSA (entitled Drilling Methods and Techniques in Resource Delineation) and is presented by Colin Rice Exploration and Training
About the course
This three day course provides a practical overview of all aspects of exploration drilling for practicing geologists and related professionals.
The program will commence at 08:30 and will finish at 16:00 each day. The course is interactive and questions and discussions of on-site problems are encouraged.
Attendance is limited to 30 delegates only. Participants will receive a set of printed course notes and a copy of "The Diamond Drilling Handbook" by Dr W.F Heinz.
Who should attend?
The course will assist all persons involved in drilling projects to understand the role of drilling in the mining industry, the physical principles of drilling as well as in understanding a range of different drilling methods commonly used in exploration projects. The functions and properties of drill fluids, the fundamentals of borehole surveying and an introduction to directional drilling concepts are also covered. The course is therefore aimed at Geologists (old and young), Project Engineers, Consultants, Financiers and Safety Professionals.
- Drilling Fundamentals
- Essential elements of a drilling operation
- The mechanics of rock breaking
- Drill rig fundamentals
- Drilling Methods
- Percussion drilling methods
- Rotary drilling methods - mud rotary, air flush rotary
- Rotary percussion methods - DTH drilling, Dual-tube reverse circulation drilling
- Sonic drilling
- Diamond core drilling
- Simultaneous casing systems
- Common drilling calculations
- The use of drilling fluids
- Fundamentals of borehole surveying and directional drilling, core orientation methods
- Economic aspects of drilling
- Common drilling problems
- Shale stabilisation
- Lost circulation
- Solids control
Next course: 27-29 September 2017, Johannesburg.
To register, please contact Charne Millett-Clay at firstname.lastname@example.org or
on 011 463 5085.
Feedback from previous course participants
- Keith Kenyon, Keith Kenyon Consulting
“I learnt a huge amount. Colin is enthusiastic and such agood trainer/lecturer”
- Paul Lee, Umvoto Africa
"Very informative and interesting"
- Jaques Pieters, Geo-Consult International
“Very pleased to have been able to attend the course, look forward to more in the future”
- Travis Smithard, Student at The University of Cape Town
- Rory Bush, SRK Consulting
‘'Very good, well presented and informative course'’
- Craig Mcluckie, Golder Associates Africa (Pty) Ltd
“Colin's enthusiasm was so motivating. The clarity of his explanations were great!” – Alistair Jackson, The MSA Group (Pty) Ltd