DRILLING FOR GEOLOGISTS CERTIFICATE PROGRAM
About this certificate program
The aim of this certificate is to improve the candidate's understanding of the fundamental processes that are involved in drilling boreholes and therefore to improve the candidate's effectiveness in identifying the source of problems and managing a drilling project.
The program also examines fundamental aspects of the use and application of drilling fluids and the principles of borehole surveying. A course on economic aspects focusses on the major cost drivers and the structure of drilling contracts.
Who should register?
This certificate program is designed for geologists, geological technicians, safety personnel, project managers and engineers who need a deeper understanding of the principles and processes involved in drilling boreholes.
This certificate program is made up of six courses:
- Drilling Fundamentals
- Introduction to Drilling Methods
- Common Drilling Calculations
- The Use of Drilling Fluids and Foams in Exploration Drilling
- Fundamentals of Borehole Surveying
- Economic Aspects of Exploration Drilling
Before you register…
Consider these important points before you register:
- The course assessments involve the application of the principles learned in the course and so require that the candidate has a good level of experience and has access to a production or exploration drilling operation. Candidates who have access to an active drilling operation may register for the "assessed" option but candidates who do not have access to an active drilling operation should register for the "un-assessed" option of this certificate.
- The Common Drilling Calculations and The Use of Drilling Fluids in Exploration Drilling courses require that the candidate has a good understanding of physical concepts and the ability to calculate areas and volumes of regular bodies.
Although our online learning programs allow candidates to work at their own pace, it is important that candidates maintain a good work rate and so time limits are set within which courses must be completed. Generally 3 - 4 weeks are allowed per course and so this certificate should be completed within 5 to 6 months. A timetable of course completion dates will be made available to the candidate on registration.
The cost of this certificate program is R 8 000,00 per person, excluding VAT.
Please refer to the schedule for the monthly intake dates. Should you wish to register for this certificate program, please complete the registration form below.